Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Walking Away


I read the Book of Mormon every night before I go to bed.  This year I started from the back of the book.  It's giving me a different perspective as to why the Nephites were destroyed.  Here is one example from the Book of Helaman.

Nephi has returned from preaching the gospel in the north.  He is about to enter the city of Zarahemla and is overcome by the wickedness of the people.  He climbs a garden tower and begins pouring out his heart to God.  People gather and wonder what on earth is going on.  The story continues with Nephi announcing the murder of the judge, five men being sent to verify this fact and put in prison, and finally discovering the truth with the judges blood on the hem of his brother's garment.

Something different held my thoughts this time.  The people who gathered at the wall to watch and listen were divided.  Some thought Nephi was a prophet, some thought he was a god, others knew he was able to discern the truth.  They talked among themselves very openly about what had happened and their particular take on the situation.  Then a strange thing happened; at least strange to me.  And this is what I have been pondering about.  They walked away.  They simply walked away.  They didn't do anything about it.  Their lives didn't change in the least.  They just continued as usual doing the same old things, making the same old mistakes, living the same old way. 

So, here am I with scriptures in hand, living prophets to guide me, and what am I doing?  Do I just walk away?  Am I any better today than I was yesterday?  I have reread these same passages over and over.  I really don't want to be like the people of Zarahemla.  I think they were playing at the righteous game instead of living righteously.  What changes will I make.  Will I just walk away?  Talking and knowing is one thing.  Doing and living is completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment