Sunday, February 14, 2010

Blizzard of 2010

I knew it was going to be a big snow, but I had no idea what BIG meant until I looked out the bedroom window. By the end of the second day the accumulation had reached 29 inches in our back yard.

Bill was called into work to keep the parking lot at the temple plowed. He was unable to get home until Saturday evening. The snow was so heavy I couldn't even begin to shovel it. It just lay there on the ground laughing at me.


By Monday morning we had only managed to clear a swipe from the back door to about 15feet down the driveway. On Tuesday morning six Snow Angles appeared at our door and we gladly paid them to finish the driveway. Before we caught our breath another 10 inches fell.

Luckily our power did not go out and so far we still have our roof and the ice dams have not caused water to come into the house via windows, walls, or floors. These are great blessings and believe me, I thank Heavenly Father continuously for them.

Bill raked snow from the roof to allow the sun to get to the ice. He had to dig a path as he made his way to the front and back of the house. The snow is stacked 4 to 6 feet in some places.

One of the pictures that keeps returning to my mind is the Martin Handcart Company trapped by the early snows near Rock Springs Wyoming. How incredibly brave, strong, faithful, and couragous these saints were. I look at my surrounding--warmth, clothing, food, and shelter and cry for their cold hands and feet; for their dead spouses and children; and for the living that had to go on without loved ones. I pray I might have that same courage to go where the Lord calls no matter the trials that may follow.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! A blog! I'm glad that you guys made it through "snowmagedon". Cant's wait to see more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome mom! I still can't believe all that snow. I'm excited to see what your blogging self can do :)

    ReplyDelete