Thursday, February 18, 2010

Baking Bread

I love to make bread.  I love the feel of the dough.  I love the smell as it bakes in the oven.  I especially love the memories and associations.

When I was growing up Mom didn't bake bread but she made rolls.  The best rolls on earth.  Ask any of my cousins, aunts, uncles, and sister-in-law.  Hands down THE best rolls on earth.  I remember her saying one time, "I wish I were back on the farm.  Then I could put as many eggs in these rolls as I wanted to."  Wish I knew her secret but no one does.  Sometimes I wish she were here so we could make rolls again.

My Aunt Ruby made bread.  Smelled like heaven in her house.  When I returned from my mission I wanted to learn her secrets.  "Honey," she said,  "Don't tell anyone but it's Rhode's Frozen Bread.  I haven't made bread from scratch for years."  That didn't matter.  There was something about that smell and seeing the fresh loaves on her kitchen table.  I wanted that in my home.

I started baking bread when we moved into the Carrollton Ward of the Silver Spring Maryland Stake.  That must have been in 1968 or 69.  What a great ward that was.  Lots of young married couples with small children.  (The Lemke's were in that ward.  Gosh I've known them a long time.)  There were two older sisters that knew how to do everything and loved to share.  We made wheat bread, white bread, sour dough bread, oatmeal bread, and potato bread.  You name it we tried it and we made it by hand.  If I was angry I'd pound it and the anger would go away.  If I was sad I'd spread butter and honey on it and the sadness would go away.  If it was raining outside I'd give each of the kids some dough to shape and like magic the sun would shine inside.

I love to think about the scriptures when I'm making bread: feeding the multitude; mana from heaven; the leaven in the loaf; the bread of life; all beautiful images and calming thoughts. 

I guess the best thing about home made bread is the sharing.  It's just plan silly to make one loaf.  Most recipes make three or four.  There's always one or two for the family and the extra loaves for a neighbor, a friend, someone who needs cheering up, or the guy who comes to fix the dish washer. 

I love to bake bread.

2 comments:

  1. me too! my bread came out great the other day. It was delicious. I am going to start making some each week! The pot roast was good too - just a little fatty - Josh called the fat sauce. eww

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was some good bread! We had grilled cheese and tomato soup that night. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete